Friday, April 10, 2009

Query Letters and other things

I've received my second form rejection for my query letter, so it's time to revise it. I don't know, I guess I thought it must be pretty good, since the first time I cast my line in I got a bite (a big bite, at that). But tightening it won't hurt. And anyway, I need to focus my search a little better. I've gone through the 2009 Writers Market and marked all the agents that appear to represent science fiction, which is the genre that LEGION fits in best -- though I don't even know if it's the sort of "science fiction" that agents looking for "science fiction" would want. Conundrum!

Progressing at a decent pace into a new novel, which doesn't have much of a name yet. I'm calling it NEPHILIM for now, but I don't think that's going to be the name. Maybe something more vague like "The Child of Renown." I dunno. Titling is the least of my concerns at this point. Getting letters onto the page (and making them sound purty) is higher priority.

Along those lines, I wish to give myself a tentative pat on the back, the sort you might give to a mourning coworker you regularly pass in the hall and you're PRETTY SURE works in Accounting. But not for anything sad: I've been writing regularly again. In fact, I DO find myself mourning, but only when I'm unable to sit at the computer. I don't know exactly where the story is going (terrifying) but I have some ideas. It's a matter now of making it compelling.

Supernatural Thriller? Yeah. At least I don't need to think too hard about the genre for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment